Windows Azure Toolkit for Windows Phone 7 available
The Windows Azure Toolkit for Windows Phone 7 is now available. This toolkit is designed to make it easier for phone developers to leverage cloud services running in Windows Azure. The toolkit includes Visual Studio project templates for Windows Phone 7 and Windows Azure, class libraries optimized for use on the phone, sample applications, and documentation.
Get the bits on CodePlex here: http://watoolkitwp7.codeplex.com/
For a great article on how to get started, please take a look at this wiki: http://watoolkitwp7.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Getting%20Started&referringTitle=Documentation
The toolkit contains the following resources:
- Binaries – These are libraries we’ve written that you can use in your Windows Phone 7 applications to make it easier to work with Windows Azure (e.g. a full storage client library for blobs and tables). You can literally add these libraries to your existing Windows Phone 7 applications and immediate start leveraging services such as Windows Azure storage.
- Docs – We’ve provided documentation that covers setup and configuration, a review of the toolkit content, getting started, and some troubleshooting tips.
- Dependency Checker – As you’ve come to expect and love, we provide a full dependency checker to ensure that you have all the bits required in order to successfully use the toolkit.
- Project Templates – We have built VSIX (which is the unit of deployment for a Visual Studio 2010 Extension) files that create project templates that make it easy for you to build brand new applications.
- Samples – We have a sample application that fully leverages the toolkit, both available in C# and VB.NET. The sample application is also built into one of the two project templates created by the toolkit.
For more information & coverage, please take a look at these resources:
- Wade Wegner’s blog: http://www.wadewegner.com/2011/03/windows-azure-toolkit-for-windows-phone-7
- Windows Azure team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/03/23/now-available-windows-azure-toolkit-for-windows-phone-7.aspx
- Mary Jo Foley’s blog: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-delivers-toolkit-for-using-windows-azure-to-build-windows-phone-7-apps/8993
- Softpedia: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Azure-Toolkit-for-Windows-Phone-7-Released-191258.shtml
Also check the Cloud Cover show on Channel 9 that focuses on this toolkit, including a walkthrough of how to get started. Additionally, over the course of the next few weeks, there’ll be new videos, tutorials, demo scripts, and other resources to go along with the toolkit.
Finally, let me say that the toolkit is not yet complete. In fact, Microsoft have only just started. There’s already additional work underway, and Microsoft plan to have many additional drops to provide additional capabilities and functionality. For example …
- Notification services for Windows Phone 7 (and other devices) that run in Windows Azure
- Support for Windows Azure queues
- More sample applications
- Multiple NuGet packages
- SQL Azure support & samples
- DataMarket support & samples