Windows Phone Developer Tools January 2011 Available
Microsoft today announced the availability of the Windows Phone Developer Tool January 2011 update, which allows developers to prepare for the forthcoming Windows Phone OS update that will deliver copy and paste functionality, improved app performance and a series of additional improvements and fixes to Windows Phones.
New and existing Windows Phone developers are encouraged to install the new tools to create the richest possible applications and/or evaluate whether or not any additional steps are needed to ensure that existing apps or games make full use of the new functionality.
The Windows Phone Developer Tools January 2011 Update includes:
- Windows Phone Emulator Update – Exposes copy/paste functionality in the Windows Phone 7 emulator. For more information, see How to: Test Copy and Paste in Windows Phone Emulator. End users can use the copy and paste functionality only after receiving the corresponding update to the Windows Phone 7 operating system.
Windows Phone Developer Resources Update
- Fixes a text selection bug in pivot and panorama controls. In applications that have pivot or panorama controls that contain text boxes, users can unintentionally change panes when trying to copy text. To prevent this problem, open your application, recompile it, and then resubmit it to the Windows Phone Marketplace.
Windows Phone Capability Detection Tool
- Detects the phone capabilities used by your application. When you submit your application to Windows Phone Marketplace , Microsoft performs a code analysis to detect the phone capabilities required by your application and then replaces the list of capabilities in the application manifest with the result of this detection process. This tool performs the same detection process and allows you to test your application using the same list of phone capabilities generated during the certification process. For more information, see How to: Use the Capability Detection Tool.
- Windows Phone Connect Tool – Allows you to connect your phone to a PC when Zune® software is not running and debug applications that use media APIs. For more information, see How to: Use the Connect Tool.
- Updated Bing Maps Silverlight Control – Includes improvements to gesture performance when using Bing™ Maps Silverlight® Control.
WPDT Fix includes:
- Windows Phone Developer Tools Fix allowing deployment of XAP files over 64 MB in size to physical phone devices for testing and debugging.
The Windows Phone Developer Tool January 2011 update includes updated reference assemblies, a new version of the Windows Phone OS emulator image and several minor bug fixes. It also incorporates the fixes previously released as part of October 2010 update, thereby replacing that patch for new WPDT installations.
Most apps will not need to be recompiled or resubmitted because existing applications will automatically use the updated controls, and therefore receive the benefits of copy and paste and performance improvements when customers update their devices.
However, applications that are designed to allow customers to interact with textbox controls within other interactive controls (such as the Panorama and Pivot) can yield an experience where the user may intend to interact with the textbox (to copy or paste) while actually triggering a reaction on the parent pano/pivot. This may lead to a poor user experience once the Windows Phone update is installed the phone. Developers can avoid this scenario by using the updated tools and recompiling and resubmitting the application to the Windows Phone Marketplace.
The release of updated Windows Phone Developer Tools continue our ongoing commitment to delivering a rich and compelling platforms that enables developers to quickly and easily bring creativity to life on Windows Phone 7.
Very interesting point to acknowledge is that to date, more than 27,000 registered developers have published more than 7,200 apps and games. Windows Phone Developer Tools have been downloaded 1M times from countries around the world and devices itself have been sold over 1,5 M units.
That’s pretty cool when you think how short time they have been available.