Windows Phone/XNA 4.0 Developer Tools CTP Refresh is now available!
Beginning today you can download the Windows Phone Developer Tools CTP Refresh (WPDT CTP) from http://developer.windowsphone.com, which means you can now build Windows Phone 7 apps on the final release of Visual Studio 2010 (VS2010). While this update is primarily intended to enable development using the final release of VS2010 there are a few new things too.
If you are still on the Visual Studio 2010 RC1 build and Expression Blend 4 Beta in order to continue to develop for Windows Phone, Microsoft released updated tools that are compatible with Visual Studio 2010 RTM and Expression Blend 4 RC. First, read this link posted by Charlie Kindel that highlights changes, updates, and installation tips:
There are some nice fixes and improvements in this tools refresh detailed at the above link so open the link in another Internet Explorer tab and keep reading below to get going.
First uninstall the following:
- Expression Blend SDK Preview for Windows Phone
- Expression Blend Add-in Preview for Windows Phone
- Expression Blend 4 Beta
- Windows Phone Developer Tools CTP-ENU
(some have experienced challenges with uninstalling the CTP tools! If you have problems with it – take a look at Aaron Stebner’s blog post)
- Silverlight 4 Tools (don’t forget to uninstall WCF Ria Services, and the Silverlight runtime as well)
- Visual Studio 2010 RC
- .NET Framework 4 Extended (and Client Profile)
Next install the following software to get on the latest version available of the Windows Phone Developer Tools:
- Install Visual Studio 2010 RTM from MSDN Subscriber Downloads (Not required unless you want the full Visual Studio 2010 development experience:-))
- Install Windows Phone Developer Tools CTP – April Refresh
Details of what’s new/changed: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/wpdev/archive/2010/04/29/windows-phone-developer-tools-ctp-refresh.aspx
- Install Microsoft Expression Blend® 4 Release Candidate (RC)
Note: If you already have Expression Blend 4 RC, you should uninstall and reinstall. This post has more info.
- Install Expression Blend Add-in Preview 2 for Windows Phone
- Install Expression Blend Software Development Kit (SDK) Preview 2 for Windows Phone
Here is a link to the updated Docs for the April tools CTP refresh: